April 12, 2022 - City Election
A Municipal election will be held from 7 am to 7 pm on April 12, 2022 at the Huron Arena, 150 5th Street SW. The City has one opening for a City Commissioner for a 4-year term. Two candidates are running for this position. If you are a registered voter who lives within city limits you may vote in this election. Further details will be posted soon.
Notice of Deadline for Voter Registration
Voter registration for the Municipal Election to be held on April 12, 2022, will close on March 28, 2022 at 5 pm. Failure to register by this date will cause forfeiture of voting rights for this election. If you are in doubt about whether you are registered, check the Voter Information Portal or call the county auditor at 605-353-8400. Registration may be completed during regular business hours at the county auditor's office, municipal finance office, secretary of state's office, and those locations which provide driver's licenses, SNAP, TANF, WIC, military recruitment, and assistance to the disabled as provided by the Department of Human Services. You may contact the county auditor to request a mail-in registration form or access a mail-in form online.
Any voter who needs assistance, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may contact the county auditor for information and special assistance in voter registration.
- Who can register?
- Are a citizen of the United States
- Are 18 years of age or older on the next election day
- Are a resident of South Dakota
- Are not under a sentence of imprisonment for any felony conviction
- Have not been judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Where can I register to vote?
You may register at any of the following locations:
- Beadle County Auditor's Office, 450 3rd Street SW Suite 201, Huron, SD
- City Finance Office, 239 Wisconsin Avenue SW, Huron, SD
- Download a registration application from the Secretary of State's website.
In addition, you may register to vote at locations that provide the following services:
- Driver's Licenses
- Food Stamps
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children
- Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (WIC)
- Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
- Military Recruitment
- Where do I vote?
The Huron Arena, 100 4th Street SW, has been designated as Huron's Super Precinct for residents residing within city limits.
- Where do I get an absentee ballot?
Absentee ballots are available for any registered voter who expects to be absent on the day of the election and may be obtained through the mail or in-person; a short application will need to be completed. For Municipal elections, please contact the Finance Office at 605-353-8502 or stop by the office at 239 Wisconsin Avenue SW. For all other elections please contact the Beadle County Auditor at 605-353-8400 or stop by the auditor's office located in the Beadle County Courthouse, 450 3rd Street SW Suite 201.
- Where do I get a petition to run for public office?
Nominating Petitions for Mayor and City Commissioner positions may be obtained from the Finance Office and must be filed with the Finance Director. Nominating Petitions for School Board positions may be obtained at the School Business Office located in the Huron Arena, 150 5th Street SW. Petitions may also be found on the Secretary of State’s website.